Is Shoulder Joint Replacement for You?
There are several reasons to consider shoulder replacement surgery. Patients who benefit from surgery often have:
- Severe shoulder pain from arthritis that interferes with everyday activities, such as reaching into a cabinet, dressing, toileting, and washing.
- Moderate to severe pain while resting. This pain may be severe enough to prevent a good night’s sleep.
- Loss of motion and/or weakness in the shoulder.
- Failure to substantially improve with other treatments such as anti-inflammatory medications, cortisone injections, or physical therapy.
Depending on the underlying cause of your shoulder arthritis, you may be a candidate for a type of shoulder replacement. The type of procedures performed at Hofmann Arthritis Institute include:
- Total Shoulder Replacement
- Shoulder Hemiarthroplasty (replace humeral head or “ball” only)
- Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement
Treatment options for shoulder, elbow and upper extremity pain during the early stages easily include non-surgical options such as injections and anti-inflammatory medications along with physical therapy.
More resistant pain symptoms may lead to further diagnostic testing by MRI. When surgery is recommended for the treatment of your shoulder arthritis, a type of shoulder replacement will likely be recommended. For younger patients with a healthy rotator cuff (four small muscles in your shoulder) a total shoulder replacement is the best option.
If the rotator cuff is injured and cannot be repaired, a slightly different operation called a reverse total shoulder replacement may be needed.
At Hofmann Arthritis Institute, we approach your diagnosis and education with open communication and shared decision-making. It is important that you are fully aware of all of the options that are available to you.
For more information on shoulder pain and treatment options, call for an appointment at 801-355-6468.